Saturday 13 August 2011

"SO ROMANTIC ABOUT GYPSIES"





Having read a recent article from the Daily Telegraph, interviewing Kate Moss about her wedding and the notorious Galliano Gown, I found that her comment about her being, "so romantic about gypsies," prompted some really scathing reader comments. I was astonished at how rude some people were about such an off the cuff comment. Personally I am all for gypsy style, bohemian fashions, and I presume that that is all she meant by those words. Fashion and design to me, is all  about fun, quirky and often whimsical inspirations. Old fashioned 'Romany' Gypsy style is something I am fascinated by; from the floral tendencies to the floaty ephemerality of some of their beautifully handcrafted clothing. As an outsider, obviously I know very little about the complex history and traditions associated with their culture , but I think their clothing and style can be really interesting and inspiring. 

I found a shoot that, conveniently, featured the fabulous Kate, from a 2009 edition of 'V' Magazine. Although not strictly Romany gypsies, I love the bohemian clothes and especially the gypsy caravan. It reminds me of the beauty of Giffords Circus, a travelling 'village green' circus, with a magical big top, bringing gypsy traditions back to life in the form of romantic and tragic tales, from War and Peace to the story of 'Yasmine'...

I also found some stunning photos of real 'Eastern Carpathian' Romany gypsies by the photographer Ferenc Tobak. The photos show a really unique insight into the tough but beautifully colourful life of a gypsy...running away with the circus seems ever more appealing...

No comments:

Post a Comment